Marino Xanthos, Ph.D.
Suite 3901, GITC, NJIT
Newark, NJ 07102,
Tel.: (973) 642-4585
Fax: (973) 642-4594
Department of Chemical Engineering
New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, NJ 07102,
Tel.: (973) 642-4762
Fax: (973) 596-8436
Polymer Blends/Composites/Foams, Polymer Modification and Reactive Processing, Plastics Recycling and Life-cycle Assessment, Polymer Processing / Structure / Property Relationships, Environmental Considerations in Polymer Processing.
· Broad industrial contract research experience in Polymer Technology.
· Industrial experience in research and development on Polymer Composites.
· Academic experience in Polymer Science and Engineering: generic and industrial research, teaching regular graduate and undergraduate courses and short courses for industry, Ph.D. and M.S. student advising, curriculum and new courses development; experience in International Chemical Education.
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada - Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry., Ph.D. Degree (1974), M.A.Sc. Degree (1970).
University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece - Department of Chemistry, B.Sc. Degree-Honors (1968).
Research & Development Experience
Polymer Processing Institute (PPI), Newark, NJ, an independent not-for-profit research organization located at NJIT
Director of Research, (since 1988)
Overall Responsibilities: Direct and supervise a staff of more than fifteen professionals and graduate assistants in industry/government sponsored and generic research in Polymer Processing, Polymer Materials Development and Plastics Recycling at an average annual volume of $600,000.
Center for Processing of Plastic Packaging - (CPPP), NJIT, Newark, NJ
Center Director, (Feb. 1997 – June 1988)
Overall Responsibilities: Direct and supervise contract research in plastic packaging applications.
Marietta Resources International Ltd. (a subsidiary of Martin Marietta Corp.), Boucherville, Que., Canada (1975-1980).
Manager, R & D and Technical Services
Responsibilities: Research, product development and technical support in the areas of processing and characterization of thermoplastic and thermoset composites including mica reinforced plastics and mica modified inorganics and coatings; research on fiber and flake reinforcements, interfacial modification and coupling agents for multiphase systems.
Academic Experience (Teaching/Research)
Current position : NJ Institute of Technology, (NJIT), Newark, NJ (since 1995)
Professor of Chemical Engineering and Director of Polymer Engineering Center
Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ (1987-1995)
Research Professor of Chemical Engineering
Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ (1980-1986)
Adjunct Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering; Academic Advisor of overseas M.S. undergraduate and technician programs in Plastics Engineering.
· Regular technical consulting since 1987 to companies such as Elf-Atochem (France), PPG, Reheis, Colgate-Palmolive, Cooperative Research Center for Polymers (Australia), Roche Diagnostics, AT&T, Zemex Minerals, Shell Chemical Co., Dow-Corning, Cytec.
· Holder of three US and two Canadian patents.
PRINCIPAL PUBLICATIONS IN LAST FIVE YEARS
· M. Xanthos and S.K. Dey, “Foam Extrusion of Polyethylene Terephthalate”, Chapter 12, pp.307-336 in S.T. Lee, Ed., “Principles of Thermoplastic Foam Extrusion”, Technomic Publishing Co., Lancaster, PA (2000)
· M. Xanthos, U. Yilmazer, S.K. Dey, and J. Quintans “Melt Viscoelasticity of Polyethylene Terephthalate Resins for Low Density Extrusion foaming”, Polym. Eng. Sci., 40, 3, 554 (2000)
· M. Xanthos and H. Warth, “Effects of Transreactions on the Compatibility and Miscibility of Blends of Condensation Polymers”, Chapter 10, pp. 411-427, in S. Fakirov, Ed., “Transreactions in Condensation Polymers”, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, Germany (1999).
· M. Xanthos and A.L. Bisio, “Polymer Recycling for Energy Recovery”, pp. 57-69, in Akovali at al., Eds, “Frontiers in the Science and Technology of Polymer Recycling”, NATO Advanced Study Institute Series, Series E: Applied Sciences – Vol. 351, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands (1998)
· U. Yilmazer, M. Xanthos, G. Bayram and V. Tan “Viscoelastic Characteristics Of Chain Extended / Branched and Linear Polyethylene Terephthalate Resins”, J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 75, 1371-1377 (2000).
· M. Xanthos and K.A. Narh, “Product Design with Glass Fiber Reinforced Polymer Blends with Potential Applications in Recycling”, Polym. Compos., 19, 6, 768 (1998).
· M. Xanthos, N. Faridi and Y.Li, “Processing/Structure Relationships of Mica-Filled Polyethylene Films with Low Oxygen Permeability”, Intern. Polym. Process., 13, 1, 58 (1998).
· M. Xanthos, V. Tan and A. Ponnusamy, “Measurement of Melt Viscoelastic Properties of Polyethylene and Their Blends - A Comparison of Experimental Techniques”, Polym. Eng. Sci., 37, 6, 1102 (1997).
SCIENTIFIC AND PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
Society of Plastics Engineers, Polymer Processing Society, American Chemical Society, Society of Automotive Engineers
INSTITUTIONAL AND PROFESSIONAL SERVICE IN LAST 5 YEARS
· Advances in Polymer Technology (John Wiley & Sons), a peer review technical journal, editor-in-chief since 1990
· Regular peer reviewer of articles submitted to technical journals, book outlines and proposals to government agencies (NSF, USDA, NRC Canada, NRC US).
· External examiner in Ph.D. defense committees; external peer reviewer of Chem. Eng. Faculty promotion/tenure in N. American and overseas Universities
· Organizer, chairman and moderator of national and international Technical Conferences/Symposia.
· Expert technical witness in legal cases.
· Organizer, co-ordinator and instructor of "Polymer Engineering" Collaborative Graduate Certificate Program, (four courses), offered to more than twenty National Starch and Chemical Company employees off-site and by ITV during 1997-98; awarded certificates in August ’98 to nine graduates.
· Participated as a proposed thrust leader in the development of the 1995 preproposal/proposal, 1997 ERC preproposal/proposal/site and 1999 preproposal to the National Science Foundation.
· Chairperson and/or member of various university and departmental search committees for administrative and faculty positions; member of departmental P&T committee; member of Ph.D. Chemistry Planning Committee;
· Engineering Program review external evaluator, Essex County College, summer 2000